Sunday, May 29, 2011

Uh oh, Estate Auction time...

Well, this might be a mega post but I have a lot to share. This week we had continued attempt at unpacking of all our items both from the apartment, what we are inheriting as Grandparents downsize and our boxes from Australia. Unfortunately Buddha was a minor casualty losing two fingers, but I feel like he says to us "don't worry" but am sure it would be something more Buddha-like such as "Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment".


Saturday we went to an estate auction on the main street in town and bought a bucket, well, truck load of items. Now, we stare at them in the garage and figure out what can be repurposed, repainted, reused, and what could we get rid of for hopefully a profit at the Flea Market in town in a couple of weeks. Some of the boxes we bought for $1 and $2 were a pot luck and we hardly knew what was in them when we put our number 36 card in the air. I don't think we have any hidden treasures, or strike it rich items but hey, if we can make some of the money back, all power to us right? Here is one of the pot luck boxes ready to go back on sale at the Flea Market:


And here are some of the items we are more excited about. Our new gun cupboard for $5 will soon become a regular cupboard once I add shelving, Jerry's rocking chair needs a new coat of paint and will probably end up in the nursery, the bench that converts to a toy chest will also end up there, our potty chair was just a fun, novelty buy for $15, my old office chair for $10 might fit nicely behind that $30 desk I have in our room, and these 2 blue camping cupboards were full of junk, but I am going to try and repurpose them as a TV cabinet!









My two fave buys were this blue table with porcelain top and chairs and this retro tea pot. I am pretty sure I outbid an antique dealer for the tea pot....not sure if that is a good thing as it probably indicates I paid too much!









And now back to earlier in the week. I grabbed a bucket and sponge, the step ladder and our little vacuum that could, and hit the mud room. This is the room on the way from the house to the garage. The previous owner left us the storage shelves in there and I am looking forward to stocking them with excess food items. Now I have decided I am no TLC worthy extreme coupon shopper, and I don't think I have to be, have the time to be, or want to be. After wiping down the shelves, I moved all of the baking loot we found left here in the kitchen cupboards and what I shipped from Australia onto one of the two shelving units, lined them up all pretty and snapped this photo (sorry for the wonky-ness):


The carpet is as clean as it could be, but I think the vacuum started spitting stuff back out at my bare legs, hence the new name of the little vacuum that could, even though I think it couldn't.

While I'm down on that level of the house, just wanted to say that our plans for the basement space are to tear up the carpet and paint the concrete (am thinking black), paint the paneling white which will give it a cottage/country feel, paint the grid of the ceiling, replace the blown lights and maybe even replace the speckled ceiling panels with plain ones. I might even attempt to paint the brick of the fireplace. Can you picture that?



The first Farmers Market of the season was on Wednesday and I wish I had taken money. The vendors are really great, and I could buy meat, flowers, plants, giant red velvet cupcakes, honey, eggs, and all things vege and herb..or "erb" as they like to say here. Here is a pretty image I snapped and then played around with in PhotoBucket:


It was Jerry's 30th birthday on Friday and I was unprepared. So I left for Holyoke Mall at 9.30 and didn't get home til after 3. I managed to get everything I wanted for Jerry and a couple of things for me! I bought my first pair of maternity jeans. Gap Maternity had skinny leg jeans! Woo hoo. I have tried on some butt ugly pairs, but knew Gap would have the goods. They are super comfy and have the full panel, although I find them slipping down my waist a little. I guess I'll just keep hiking them back up! I had to stop by H&M as well as I know they have maternity, and who can resist H&M? I picked up a cute black jumper which will come in handy for my Australian trip in winter and a super cute dress and bloomers for my friend Megan's new baby Pippa. Good shopping trip!


And in more baby news, I have started to feel the bubbles popping, which is apparently the first signs of feeling the baby move. Pretty cool. I only hope Jerry gets to feel something before he leaves for his trip in two weeks.....

Oh, and Jerry's presents were Hugo Boss cologne he has wanted for ages, an old school Yankees cap, a t-shirt, the bi-annual pair of undies, a Patriots house key, and these 2 pendants I had made to replace ones he had lost in the surf a while back. My friend Brandi, who I met at University when she was a US exchange student and who now lives in Sweden, made these. You can see her jewellery and request custom pieces at her Etsy shop: www.brandiu.etsy.com


I was invited to join Pinterest by my friend Monique. Uh oh, addiction..... I love that I can pin all my fave things in one place. I had started creating powerpoint presentations for this....bor-ing and kinda embarrassing now that I have Pinterest! You can see the styles and things I love at http://pinterest.com/babapeach/

Capped off the weekend by some Walmart grocery shopping and a trip to Monson to visit our Uncle Tim and Aunt Kathy who are camping out there for Memorial Day weekend. We are up early tomorrow as Kirah is marching in the Memorial Day Parade with her Brownie troop. No sleep in for us.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment